Sunday, April 11, 2010

Again with the rain today! Seems like it will never stop. We've gotten out riding once in the last several months. Yesterday the boys got their toenails trimmed so no trail riding this weekend. I've been trying to get out in the arena at least, and work toward my Parelli Level 3 (which I am committed to achieving this summer). Cowboy is enjoying the spring grass and is full of energy, which can work for or against me! I certainly don't have any trouble getting him to move. Getting him to shut down is another matter. He's looking good, though. His topline is improving and he's nice and muscled up. His hooves are doing fabulously well barefoot.

Dexter's former owner Terri came to visit him on Friday. Terri was permanently injured as a result of a fall from Dex. One of those accidents that could have happened to anybody but it went horribly wrong. She still loves Dex, though, and it's a privilege to be one of his guardians for her.


"Julie & Julia" is now on one of the movie channels so I got to watch it again. That's the movie that inspired this blog and I enjoyed it as much the second time I watched it as the first. Julie Child was such an inspiration--enthusiastic, energetic and persistent, with high standards. I am still cooking my way (slowly) through the Cooking Light cookbook, which calls for far less butter than "Mastering The Art of French Cooking". So far I've tried Gruyere, Arugula and Prisciutto-Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Caramelized Shallot Sauce (I was exhausted by the time I got done reading the name), which was delicious, especially the first night. Not the best dish for re-heating. Serve it with company and eat it all the night you cook it. Then I tried London Broil with Texas Toast and Red Onion Jam which was pretty good. Tex-Mex Lasagna was a definite winner, easy to make and quite tasty. For portability, I tried Roasted Red Pepper Spread Sandwiches, which are roasted red bell peppers and cucumber in a light cream cheese spread. It was okay but there is a lot of cream cheese, not my favorite texture on a sandwich. Then last night I made the Brined Lemon Chicken which was just darned good. I've never brined a bird before, although I hear it's the way to go with the Thanksgiving turkey, and it really did tenderize the chicken and gave it a yummy flavor. Salty? yes, but I happen to like salt, so it worked for me! It was stuffed with shallots, lemon and garlic and, as a bonus the kitchen smelled wonderful. I may brine the turkey next November.

I'm a published author! My article came out in the Spring edition of Sonoma County Horse Journal. And I have an assignment for the next issue. I've been wanting to write for decades and never pursued it so this is really exciting for me. Maybe someday I'll actually get paid.....

1 comment:

  1. Aw, Dexter looks so sweet there. And I am reminded how very lucky both Steve and I have been. By the way, Lena dumped him Friday and we may have had a training epiphany, more later in person.

    And had I known you were going to wax poetic about tasty dishes, I would have waited until after dinner to check in on your blog! Oh, wee--it all sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete