Wednesday, January 20, 2010

40 Days and 40 Nights

Okay, maybe more like 4 days and 4 nights. Anyway, the Rain Gods are vengeful and we are feeling their wrath. This morning started with a downpour the likes of which I haven't seen for a few years. All the drainage systems failed: the wood chips on my garden paths washed away, the back yard was under 6 inches of water, and the French drain behind Cowboy's shelter gave up, causing several inches of water to collect in Cowboy's stall. His entire paddock was under water, save for a small "island" where he was perched, watching the water rise. The manure pile, which I admit has gotten out of hand, acted effectively as a dam, blocking the drainage path. Two hours of digging trenches and re-arranging the poop pile were required to get Cowboy a patch of dry stall space big enough for him to have breakfast, and give the floodwaters a place to go. Dexter, who has a more open shelter and usually bears the brunt of the rainstorms, was high and dry thanks to additional gravel that was put down this year. Looks like Cowboy's shelter will need the same when it gets dry enough to work.

It also looks like my driveway, which has held up nicely for 12 years, also sustained some damage. More business for the gravel supply place.

All the digging made me very late for work and it was nearly dark when I got home, so I can't really do much of a damage assessment. But there is more rain in the forecast.

So, what am I grateful for today. For one thing, the power stayed on, and for that I am MOST grateful. Hot water and coffee available! And the roof doesn't leak, and even though the driveway will need some repairs, I can still use it. So here at the ranch, the rain is more of a big inconvenience than it is a genuine problem. And the water did drain off pretty quickly when the rain slowed down. In fact, I wanted to get a photo to post, but by the time I got the drainage improved and went back to the house, there wasn't much to take a picture of. Someday there will be some pictures, I promise.

1 comment: