Wednesday, January 27, 2010

It's been so long since we've seen the sun that I wasn't sure what to do today when it appeared! But I gathered my wits and put the boys out to eat, cleaned paddocks and fixed fence (more about that later), and then, OMG! PLAYED WITH MY HORSE! What a concept! We did a bit of body work, then some ground work, and then had a quick ride in the arena. The time off shows as he was not exactly attentive. The sunshine and dry weather have also stirred up the little biting flies that he is allergic to, so he was distracted by the itchiness as well. So it was not the most productive session but it sure felt good to be working under blue skies with a dry horse. With some luck we will have enough dry weather to get started on body work and equine fitness soon. I did put the weight tape on him the other day and it read 968 pounds, so he has gained some weight. Lots of beet pulp and corn oil!

The corn oil and confinement have joined forces to raise Cowboy's energy level dramatically. Yesterday I turned them out in my pasture to get some exercise while I scooped poop (endless job). When it was time to bring them in, Cowboy declined in volcanic fashion by running, spinning and bucking--taking Dexter with him, of course. After several loops around the pasture, I finally got them confined in Dexter's paddock. This is separated from the pasture by 2 strands of hot wire--not the best fencing but it's been effective. Cowboy seemed to recognize defeat and trotted up to me with his neck arched, snorting all the way. As I reached to put his halter on, he changed his mind, wheeled, and decided to JUMP the hot wire. This is a first, he usually has complete respect for electric fencing. Also, while he fancies himself quite the jumper, he is a short-legged, long-backed Quarter Horse and does have his limits, especially at dusk and when he starts his approach 10 feet from the fence. So the fence came down and fortunately did not get wrapped around his legs, and the horse headed for high country. So I ended my evening patching the fence back together in the near-dark and rounding up the horse (again).

I've been doing pretty well on my own exercises although I've missed a couple days. Don't ask about the eating. I seem to be busy working although it isn't translating into income. Hmmmm. Better review my business plan. I've found that work=stress=eating. I need a new equation.

My heart goes out to Jess from the SpottyHorse blog whose father is dying. We have said goodbye to too many people in the last couple months. Everybody stay healthy and be careful out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment