Sunday, January 10, 2010

Jessica asked about the Jack Meagher system and for a link. I don't think there is a website and I'm not sure if Jack Meagher is still around but he is a pioneer in sports massage and wrote a book called "Beating Muscle Injuries for Horses". I think it's available from Amazon. It's a spiral-bound softback and about $15. It goes into deep massage techniques and identifies 25 stress points to test for problems and gives a massage technique for each. I don't remember where I heard about it--maybe from the equine massage class at the JC? Not sure. Try googling his name for more info. I did that and this blog came up as the sixth hit! But some better resources than this also came up.

It's a pretty traditional approach compared to acupuncture, acupressure and some of the newer techniques that have surfaced in recent years but seems to be a good solid approach. I tried it again on Cowboy today but he was so itchy from his midline dermatitis that we didn't make much progress--he just wants to be scratched. I scratched him and put Benadryl on his itchy spots and called it a day.

1 comment:

  1. You rock, Joan--thank you!

    I think I need a massage after yesterday's stupid arena experience. Grrr.

    Jess

    ReplyDelete